Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Following Clearwater, I took a week off. That's right, I did absolutely no training. I think it's important at the end of the season to take some downtime. I know many that are so paranoid of missing a day of training, let alone a week. These athletes usually plug away year round. They also usually race ok, but not quite to what they are capable of. They also typically battle some small injuries constantly. This is very common - as I mentioned, I know quite a few who refuse to take downtime. Some view this as a strength. I view it as the opposite. The body needs periods of time to rest and rejuvenate.

I started back up again with some training on Monday. My training for the next month or so will be very unorthodox. I feel it's important to continue to work on your aerobic base, yet to do some different things. Soon enough, we'll be back in the thick of swimming, cycling, and running. Now is a great time to do some different activities that elevate the heart rate, work some muscles and connective tissue through different ranges than you normally do, and have fun! One of my favorite off season sessions looks like the following:

30 min run in B zone (Z2)
Then, 5 rounds of:
  1. 20 push-ups w/ feet elevated on swiss ball
  2. 20 double crunches
  3. 20 deep squats on bosu ball flipped upside down
  4. 20 supermans
  5. 2 min of hitting the heavy bag
  6. 2 min of jumping rope

I go from 1 exercise to the next with no rest and repeat the circuit 5 X's. It's a killer! Try this out sometime, and listen to some pumping, loud music while doing it. I guarantee that by the fourth circuit, your legs will be shaking big time during the bosu ball deep squats. You will also feel a soreness you haven't felt in awhile the next day.

I do plan on getting out tomorrow am for a long run. I need to create some caloric deficit before I overindulge later in the day!

Hope everyone has a great Thanksgiving!

Cheers,

EH

No comments: