Saturday, March 15, 2008

I'm in Tucson!

Tell the average person that you are paying money to go to a location where you will be pushed hard, where you will run countless strides, pedal for hours on end and swim back and forth and back and forth and back and forth, ... I'm sure many that have attended a training camp have done so with their friends and family. They've tried to explain what they were about to participate in only to get the typical responses of "Are you nuts???" and "You're paying for that???" No worries - these people will never get it. And let's be honest, most of us like when people react that way.

I awoke at 3:15am today so that I could get to Laguardia on time for my flight out here to Tucson. My daughter was really upset about me leaving which makes me question whether this small part of my business is worth it. It also made the flight out here seem longer than it should have. As my plane was coming into Tucson, it flew directly to the south of Mt. Lemmon, giving me a great view of the one road that snakes it's way up this famous climb. Then, my mood started to switch. I was excited thinking that we would be riding up and down that road over the next week quite a bit. There's something about pushing ourselves through the simplicity of these three exercises that makes us feel more alive.

We checked into out hotel which is close to Mt. Lemmon, Sabino Canyon, a Starbucks, a Jamba Juice, a Trader Joes, and great mexican food. Now I'm trying to remember why I wouldn't want to be here.

This week, we'll train 6 to 8 hours per day, go out to great dinners, drink a few beers, tell some great stories, have a bunch of laughs and create some great memories. I'll offer out as much information as the campers can handle before duct taping my mouth shut. I'll go home reenergized and feeling fit and motivated and I'll feed a lot of that back into my family and business. Remember, this sport we do is just a metaphor of who we really are. Right now, who I really am is one tired sob who can't wait to hit the telephone line in Sabino Canyon tomorrow morning for a 90 min run.

Peace - and good night!

EH

No comments: