Saturday, June 30, 2007

Solid Week


I miss Lake Placid! It's always great to come home after a brief time away from the family, but the training grounds of Lake Placid are hard to beat. The picture above is where the trail run ended on Thursday of the LP camp.

I came off camp a bit tired and very ravenous. It was hard to stop eating this week! You get used to downing lots of food at these camps, plus the metabolism is in overdrive, trying to make up for your depleted condition.

Even though I was a bit tired, I still managed to get in a few decent rides in the heat and some solid runs. Looks as though I'll be going into Griskus with only my two swims from LP and my one swim from Tucson under me. It is what it is.

One of my PT clients had a TV on yesterday morning and there was much discussion over this being the 10 year anniversary of Princess Diana's death. I can't believe it's been 10 years! Lisa was a huge Princess Di fan. The funeral was being broadcasted all weekend in late August of 97', and Lisa and her frined Amy were intent on not missing a bit of it. We had just bought ou first house in Shelton and were doing some renovating, so they were couped up in one room where we basically had everything we owned. I informed Lisa that I was heading out to ride early Saturday morning with Farber and might not be back until Sunday. She just said "fine" while she studied the TV, as if she didn't even hear me. I took a small backpack with a change of clothes and a credit card and rode from Shelton towards rt. 10 in Hamden to meet up with Farber. We then headed north on rt. 10, stopping in Simsbury for breakfast, then Northhampton, MA for lunch, then we were chased by a pig in Greenfield, MA, before finally rolling into Brattleboro, VT. I called up Lisa and told her I was in VT and she said something like "sure you are honey." Farber and I ate some bad pizza and drank some great beer, before waking up early on Sunday and riding home.

Thus, the VT ride was born. Baker joined us the next year on the ride and hasn't missed one yet since. We have done it every year, and even twice on a few years when I was training for Hawaii. We eventually smartened up and now we ship our change of clothes up to the hotel.

Looks as though we'll be doing it this year in August sometime. Have to keep these annuals going!

Cheers,

EH

No comments: