Monday, October 09, 2006

Lessons Learned

I spent most of the weekend, and last week for that matter, overanalyzing every symptom I've developed from this cold. I'd awake in the morning, weighing heavily how well I slept, how my legs felt, how stuffed up was I, and how was this all going to effect my race.

I started Sunday morning with a really nice 2 hour run with Gus and Kenny in the trails. It was a beautiful morning, and I overdressed to begin getting somewhat heat acclimated. My legs felt fine and the run felt easy - my last long one before Kona.

In the afternoon, Lisa, my kids, and I went for a bike ride down to Great Hollow Lake. Both my kids are getting over this cold that I am dealing with. We roll out of my street and enter the trails, and Ryan shifts into his biggest gear, stands up, and takes off. Occasionally, he glimpses back through his sunglasses, to view the gap that he's opened. He gets smaller and smaller until Lisa suggests I go reel him in. Kate's in the trailer attached to my mountain bike and she's just singing along. I finally pull up next to Ryan, as he says, "that was good attack, huh dad!" (He's still way into cycling and the Tour.)

We get to Great Hollow Lake and ride up the steep hill to the soccer fields. I brought a soccer ball in the trailer, and we head out to play a bit. Ryan will cough occasionally, as will Kate. They never once complain. Ryan laughs constantly as he challenges me to see who scores. Kates playing defense and still singing, and Lisa's playing goalie. They run constantly until I suggest we take a gatorade brake, which is short, because they want to play again. After an hour of this, we get back on the bikes for the trip home, where Ryan continues to throw attacks, sprint for lines, and laughing and smiling the whole time.

Kids don't overthink things which is a gift, and which is something we should get back to. Adults lose their ability to play. In fact, they lose it to the point where they have to think about how to play. My kids, dealing with the same cold I have, didn't worry about how it was going to effect their play time. And let's be real, doing an IM is our play time. Sure, we put an awful lot into it, but, unless you are a small handful of the pro's making a living off of this sport, than it's a fun hobby that we should be appreciative of finding and being able to compete in. It's really important to be appreciative but not take things to seriously.

I went for a ride today and checked out the trees, thought of my race strategy, of being competitive, and of having fun in Kona. And guess what? Even though I'm still hacking a bit and still a bit stuffed up, my legs felt fine!

By the way, yesterday I posted a picture of my bike I'll ride in Hawaii. It's my favorite bike to date, and I've had an awful lot of bikes! I owe huge thanks to Scott Forster who has been my tech guru and also to Matt C. at Cannondale.

Cheers,

EH

No comments: