Sunday, September 28, 2008

RFR

I'm procrastinating right now. I'm the cook in our household here. I love to cook. However, I'm not motivated tonight. So Lisa ad the kids will have to wait a bit as I get out some post RFR thoughts.

My friend Rick Moisan past away in 2005 at the age of 43 from cancer. His cancer started as lung cancer, even though he, or no one around him never smoked. Rick was an all class guy. The kind of man who spoke with his actions. He was short in conversation, but to the point. In 2004, I dedicated my Ironman journey and race in Hawaii to him. I had a tough year there - my toughest IM to date. Rick called me in Hawaii after the race and simply said "Man, you didn't do so good!" I laughed. In fact, I laughed quite a bit with Rick. I would spend time with him while he underwent his chemotherapy. We'd often play chess during this time. Rick was pretty good, and late in his cancer phase, he beat me good in a game. His response followed by a small chuckle was "What's a matter with you? My brain is riddled with cancer and I still kicked your ass!" Don't confuse this candor with coldness. Rick was compassionate, yet had a great sense of humour.

There are two events that I began that are the two most important events that I'm associated with each year. The Ride For Rick and the Plunge. When I began these two charitable events, my main focus was on raising funds directly for those in need - not for big organizations where the funds easily can get lost in who knows what. I'm very pleased with the success of these events. The Ride For Rick has evolved immensely - thanks to Lisa, Rick's wife, and her women crew.

The RFR is important to me not only because I've seen how it's benefited others, but because it keeps Rick's memory alive for his family. Seeing his wife and his daughters still crushes me. They are really doing great, but I can't help but feel for them.

The fact that the weather held out yesterday was incredible, considering the forecast. I've already stated a thank you on my home page so I won't reiterate. I just want those who were there yesterday to know that there participation in this event is huge to me and, for those who were there, if you ever put on something like this that's near and dear, you can count on me to participate.

By the way, we raised $100,000 from this years event, which is going to some amazing causes!

Cheers,

EH

No comments: