Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Trail Running and Jury Duty

Blogging has been slow, things have been busy.

For those that don't run trails; Why??? I have heard from old die hards that you need to simulate the pounding of pavement so that you are conditioned for this on race day. In triathlons, your feet can land hard due to fatigued leg muscles, however, your gate is also much lower and slower. In running races, yes, it's important to get a bit of pavement running in, but you don't need nearly as much as you'd think. 10% of your weekly volume is more than sufficient. The benefits of trail running; besides the fact that it blows the pants off of pavement running for sheer fun, enjoyment, scenery, ..., it also is less taxing on the muscular and skeletal system, meaning more quality in your weekly training and better recovery. On single track trails, there is a lot of lateral movement, stepping on uneven surfaces, over roots and rocks which strengthens key joint tendons and ligaments. Plus, did I mention it's way more fun? I have the great advantage of a rail trail system with lots of single track off of it, starting at the end of my street. However, I can't recommend enough the advantages of running most of your long run each week on trails.

I served jury duty last week. After postponing it twice, I finally decided to suck it up and pay my dues. Yes, I realize we are very fortunate to have the legal system in place that we do in this country. I even feel it would be cool to serve as a juror on an interesting case. However, being in my own business, it is more of a nuisance. I arrived at 8:30am to the Bridgeport court house along with 100 other citizens. Lisa laid into me about not bringing my Treo or laptop into the court house - that it would be confiscated for the day, so I left the lap top home and the Treo in the car. Guess, what; they lifted this rule in August, and everyone was typing away on their blackberries and computers! I brought the book "Raising The Bar" to read while waiting. Soon enough, I was selected with 17 others to be interviewed for serving as a juror on a criminal case. The judge brought us all into the court room where the prosecuting attorney, the defense attorney, and the person being prosecuted were sitting. She explained the case, and how the suspect was being brought up on nine counts, most drug related; possession of heroine with the intent to sell, possession of cocaine with the intent to sell, weapon possession, ... They then issued us out into a jurors room where we waited for each one of us to be called in one at a time to be interviewed. If you were to be chosen to serve on the jury, the case would take most likely up to one week. You were allowed to leave after you were interviewed whether you were chosen or not. I waited and read and stewed over this case. I mean, the guy has nine freaking charges brought up against him and this case is going to take a week!!! I know that our system states that all people are innocent until proven guilty, but come on - nine counts! And this is where some of our tax $$$ is going?! I was ready to bitch when I got my turn for the interview. In the jurors room, no one said one word to one another. It was bizarre, yet I didn't mind it. I read and waited some more, and finally, at 4pm, with only four of us left to be interviewed, they excused us all and told us our duties had been served. I have a few pt clients that are extreme conservatives who were upset at my attitude towards the day. I just don't see the logic in trying a guy for one week that has nine separate accounts brought up against him. "Raising The Bar" was a good read though. It's about the inventor and CEO of Clif Bars and his journey from the start. It's based on the business principals he has learned and established through his experiences - he uses experiences from his adventurous lifestyle as business analogies, and although the book has some repetitive themes to it, the guy and his business are solid role models. I definitely recommend checking it out.

School is back in session meaning my daughter comes home with a cough, and my wife and I now have bad head colds which will put the traininig on hold for a few days. Oh well.

Cheers,

EH

1 comment:

Rob Straz said...

3 places that you will see the lowest of the low of humanity in America:

- Walmart
- Carnivals
- Jury Duty

Maine comes in a close 4th place.